Wednesday, July 25, 2012

It's Cool in the Kitchen



     With the temperature outside back up into the upper nineties once again, the last thing I want to do is spend time in a hot kitchen preparing dinner.  So to keep things cool while still serving a healthy and economical meal I turned to a classic Middle East salad, tabouleh.
     It is composed mainly of Bulgur wheat, a whole grain, that provides plenty of fiber, and has a sweet, nutty taste.  And to that base I added some of the herbs growing on the back porch, namely parsley and mint.  And of course I included about a dozen of my cherry tomatoes that were halved.  Other ingredients can include diced cucumber, bell pepper and onion either from the garden or from the mega mart nearby.  An added dash of flavor comes from a combination of fresh lemon juice and olive oil (a Vinny Garette, if you will). 

     After mixing everything together I simply put the salad bowl in the refrigerator for the afternoon and a minute before dinner I sprinkled some crumbled Feta cheese on top and placed it on the table.  And to compliment the salad I added some grilled shrimp that were seasoned with tarragon.

     Click on the recipe to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment