Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Conventional vs Convectional

     Editor's note:  As I entered Wednesday's post I realized that in my haste I had failed to post the draft I had written for Tuesday.  Here it is:
Vinny


     Our stove isn't new.  We've had it for several years now.  But I'm still adjusting to the convectional feature of the oven, something new for me.  So I was eager to read in the question and answer section of the latest Cuisine at home magazine about the proper use of convection ovens.  Here is what they had to say:

     "The point of a convection oven is to steadily circulate hot air throughout the oven with a fan, so it cooks food quickly and evenly.  Since the moving air cooks more efficiently than radiant heat, the oven doesn't need to be as hot or the cooking time as long.

     Once you get the hang of adjusting the temp and time (usually dropping about 25 degrees and up to 30% of the time), you can use convection mode for all sorts of food.

     It ensures your roast or Thanksgiving turkey will brown evenly.  Plus you can cook several dishes on multiple racks without rotating them.  Along the same lines, multiple sheets of cookies will bake uniformly.  And baked goods in general will turn out light and flaky since the butter starts steaming more promptly.  Is convection mode every not a good choice?  We just discourage using it for delicate desserts and souffles due to the motion of the air."

     There you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment