Friday, June 27, 2014

Not Just Another Cookbook

     

     I celebrated my 65th birthday in the 49th state this year.  It was decidedly different than all the other observances of my entrance into the world.  Traveling with my life long friend and fellow gourmand I paused to consider the days of my life already spent and to contemplate the days (and hopefully years) that are yet to be.

     So it was very appropriate that I should receive as a present that day a new cookbook, one different from all the others in my collection.  It wasn't written by some big name TV chef or self proclaimed nutritional authority.  The author was Debbie Walker, a wife and mother, who was simply trying to prepare healthy meals for her family.  She titled her tome "How to Have a Wonderful Life & Eat Good Too!"

     Here's the way she begins her cookbook:

The views stated in this book are the opinion of the writer and not necessarily the view of anybody official.  The cookbook is a collection of ideas I found in my quest for quick and healthy food...

Every time I'd see a "Low Fat" segment in a magazine or on television, the main ingredients were red, green, and yellow peppers.  I got tired of the three-pepper cuisine.  Is there anything else on this planet that is low fat besides chicken breasts and peppers?

So, I decided to put together a collection of simple, basic, and healthy meal ideas with food that can be found in an average grocery store--I mean a below-average grocery store...If you are already eating low fat, this cookbook can be a handbook to remind you of all the basic options available.  When you're busy or tired, you can flip through this book to get quick ideas.  Everything is the shortcut version...

Gee, that's my kind of author, writing my kind of cookbook!  Can't wait to try some of her recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment