Monday, July 6, 2015

Happy Birthday USA!

     How do you celebrate our nation's birthday when you live in the Cradle of Liberty?



     One way is to visit the place where it all began, Independence Hall.  Another way is to participate in the Welcome America Festival sponsored once again by Wawa, the region's enthusiastic convenience store chain.  And on Thursday July 2nd I did both.




     On Independence Mall between the National Constitution Center and Independence Hall folks from the City of Brotherly Love were treated to the iconic sandwich that typifies Philadelphia, the hoagie.  



     Before dawn, at 4am, 150 Wawa associates were busy assembling over 15,000 hoagies using 10,000 pounds of ingredients.  And on a grey, damp day people patiently waited in line to receive a truly Philly lunch.  I mean, what could say Philadelphia better than a Wawa hoagie, a bag of Herr's potato chips and a TastyKake Krimpet?




   Feeling very patriotic after my celebratory lunch I spent the rest of the afternoon visiting the place where it all began.  Then to reaffirm my resolve I made my way to the National Constitution Center, along with about 30,000 other people who enjoyed free admission, and learned more about the document that ensures our rights and responsibilities as Americans,  citizens of the greatest nation on earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment