Monday, March 28, 2016

No Menu Necessary

     The last stop on my Caribbean culinary cruise was Grand Turk, the island capital of the small nation of Turks & Caicos Islands (TCI).  The islands are a part of the Lucayan Archipelago  and are officially a British Overseas Territory.  First discovered by Ponce de Leon in 1512 TCI has been under the authority of the Spanish, French and British.  But speaking to some of the local populace they indicate that most of the infrastructure is due to the presence of the US military who maintained a presence there until recently.

TurksandCaicosOMC.png (969×671)
     
     The islands were once a popular hide out for pirate bands before a more legitimate enterprise invigorated the economy.  Processing sea salt predominated and became their major export until the end of the 20th Century.  But their claim to fame remains the reception they gave when they hosted the US astronaut John Glenn in 1962 when he was plucked out of the nearby ocean waters after orbiting the earth 3 times.


     It was a warm and sunny day when I strolled into downtown Cockburn Town.  I must admit that there wasn't a whole lot to see.  After touring the minuscule National Cultural Museum I went looking for a place to eat lunch.  That proved to be a challenge in the undeveloped island.



     Eventually I happened past a small shack with a sign outside that said, "Edith's Fish Fry."  There wasn't a printed menu, they didn't need one.  There was only one thing to order...you guessed it, fried fish.  But they did have free wifi (if you ordered a beer), so I parked myself on a wooden stool and sat at the plywood bar, waiting for my meal as I checked my e-mail.  Edith went to work in her kitchen and soon I had an immense fried filet and a side of fried plaintains handed to me on a paper plate.  It was delicious!  And a panoramic ocean view was just to my left, a pristine beach of white sand and azure blue water.

     The beer and the fish-$11
     The scenery-Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment