Sunday, February 12, 2012

Classic Comfort

     As I look at the calendar for the week ahead it appears that the kitchen will be closed for several dinners.  The schedule has me on the move over the dinner hour.  So I want the meals that I am preparing to be classic comfort food that are as good the second time as they are the first.  So on Monday I plan to make an all-time favorite, tuna noodle casserole.  It's a great meal to warm both body and soul on a chilly winter's day.  And it's just as good re-heated for a hearty lunch later in the week.
     Then on Tuesday I'm going to prepare a meal I learned to cook in Tuscany, Pollo Arrosto al Limone, Lemon Roasted Chicken.  My Florence cookbook describes it this way:

It is one thing to say that simplicity is the essence of the Tuscan kitchen.  It is quite another to taste the extraordinary deliciousness that can come from just one chicken, two lemons, and a pinch of salt and pepper...Serve this dish with roasted-garlic mashed potatoes for a favorite weeknight meal.

That's exactly what I plan to do!  And then with the remaining meat from the roasted chicken I plan to cook another classic comfort food, Chicken Pot Pie.


    

1 comment:

  1. mmmm - that chicken sounds yummy! Like something I could make on a Sunday then use in sandwiches and salads for leftovers! Now if only I was ever home on a Sunday...

    ReplyDelete