Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Vicissitudes of Life

     This week I discovered that it is impossible to purchase just one leek.  Like every other consumer item, leeks are sold in bulk.  I only needed one for a recipe, but it was impossible to get just one.  They were sold in triplets.  So reluctantly I made the purchase and then had 2 more than I needed and had them chilling in the refrigerator until I could figure out what to do with them. 
     I also noticed that the parsley in my porch herb pot was growing prolifically, out of control, in addition to having a left over ham quarter and some Yukon gold spuds about to sprout eyes.  So what to do with these disparate elements?  What else, make soup!
     I didn't need a recipe, it was a no-brainer to cook up a tantalizing and healthy soup with the ingredients at hand.  First I sauteed the leeks in butter after a thorough rinsing to remove any sand or grit, then I added some vegetable stock and threw in the diced potatoes and allowed the mix to simmer for 15 minutes.  While that was on the stove I cubed the ham and assembled my food processor.  When the timer sounded I removed half of the potato leek mix into the processor and pureed it as I added the ham to the pot, along with a dash of marjoram and a teaspoon full of thyme.  The puree was then added back into the soup along with some chopped parsley and the soup was ready to cool.  Later in the day I delivered it to my uncle for a week's worth of lunches.
     To paraphrase "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade" I would posit "When life hands you leeks, make soup!"
    

No comments:

Post a Comment