Wednesday, June 20, 2012

At the market

     As you probably know by now, I am a staunch advocate of local farmer's markets.  Back in January (Market Day, 1/24/12) I wrote about my weekly excursion to the Green Dragon farmers' market in Ephrata.  So it should come as no surprise to my world wide readership that when I was out in St. Paul recently it was imperative that I visited the well established St. Paul Farmer's Market Saturday morning.  Unlike the neophyte Lansdale market which is still a work in progress, the market in Minnesota's state capitol provides not only fresh seasonal produce but also has a wide variety of other culinary and kitchen necessities.  And if you are hungry there are also breakfast bagel sandwiches available.
     I was in charge of creating some interesting side dishes for the cook out the following afternoon so I was on the lookout for a nice head of cabbage to shred into cole slaw.  Among the many Spring veggies available I was able to find a nice firm, tight, and fresh cabbage there.


     Also on my list was a dry rub and a glaze to use on the ribs that were going to marinate  overnight.  That, too, was at the market.  And if I had only known, I could have substituted bison for the pork ribs.

     And if I needed to shower down after the event I could have used some artisan soap, available from a producer in White Bear Lake.

     You can't get produce any fresher than direct from the grower.  And it's also beneficial to support local endeavors.  The growing season is brief so take advantage of the farmers' markets in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment