Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Capital Idea

     On my recent trip to our nation's capital I was eager to visit some of the noted eateries in town.  Since my daughter is a resident of "The District" I had the advantage of her culinary experience and followed her advice on where to dine.  It was a bit of a shock to learn that we would need reservations for breakfast on a Saturday at "Ted's Bulletin."  Reservations?  For breakfast?

     But once we arrived on time at 8:30 I soon learned why.  The Capital Hill restaurant located in SE by Barrack's Row had nary a free seat available and there was a line working toward the front door.  But fortunately we were greeted warmly by the hostess who found our name on the list and seated us promptly.  The breakfast menu (available all day long) came along with a hot cup of coffee and a cheerful smile from our waitress.  As I caught my breath from the brisk walk to their 8th Street location from the Metro stop I looked around at the throwback decor that included lighting from Philadelphia's Convention Hall and a movie projector showing Marx Brothers classics on the wall.  And the menu itself resembled an old time newspaper.

     And speaking of newspapers, The Washington Post has described Ted's as a "comfortable eatery with a retro vibe and a menu that features carefully curated classics."  I call it a place to really enjoy a meal of good old fashioned comfort food.  The menu was full of favorites like grilled cheese and tomato soup, meat loaf and cornbread, sloppy joes, Reubens, and burgers and shakes, and reportedly the best breakfast in the area.  So I ordered up the "Walk of Shame Breakfast Burrito."  It contained sirloin steak, scrambled eggs, hash browns, cheddar cheese and green chile sauce all rolled up in a soft tortilla.  I was not disappointed.  It was a sumptuous way to begin the day.  And to complete the meal our table shared one of their signature homemade toaster pastries.  My generation would call them pop tarts except that they went far beyond the cardboard out of the box creations that I consumed in college.  These came in a wide range of flavors and toppings.  The most interesting was the peanut butter bacon one which was also the most requested of the econo size delights.
 
     So the next time you plan a visit to our Nation's seat of government, be sure to put Ted's Bulletin on your list of attractions.  But make a reservation, even for breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Ted's!!! i will be in trouble once the new one opens on 14th st!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I will need to go to there. That burrito is not helping my want for a yummy breakfast right now... And peanut butter bacon pop tarts?! *DROOL*

    ReplyDelete