Monday, November 5, 2012

Pimeton

     This week my menu planner includes something new, for me at least.  I've never broiled lamb chops and am looking forward to attempting a charmoula version of them.  The recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine calls for them to be marinated in a traditional Moroccan combination of spices that includes two kinds of paprika.  I was curious as to the origin of this ancient spice so I did some research.

     Smoked paprika, one of the types mentioned in the recipe, is principally imported from Spain where it is better known as pimenton de la Vera.  It's made from capsicum annuum peppers that are smoked over oak and then ground in a stone mill.

 
     But paprika is also produced in other locations beside Spain.  South America, California and Hungary also export several varieties of this reddish spice in various intensities from delicate to hot.  Used in food preparation it imparts both color and flavor and is often sprinkled over colorless dishes to improve their appearance without infusing any additional flavor.

 
     Chef Brian Lewis of the Elm Restaurant in New Canaan, CN says, "Smoked paprika has a wonderful balance of smoky, sweet and earthy flavors, and it goes well with everything from mushrooms to whole grains, poultry, fish and lamb.  In the summer, I use it with just about everything I grill, and in winter on foods destined for the broiler."

     Gee, that's just what I intend to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment