Monday, August 10, 2015

Feast-i-val!

     Across our great nation the vast majority of the emergency service organizations are volunteer.  The work they do is dangerous and expensive.  Raising the necessary funds to stay in operation is an ongoing challenge.  Many fire companies and ambulance companies routinely sponsor things like bake sales, golf outings, hoagie sales, beef and beer nights and fun runs.  But the Rescue Fire Company in Cambridge, Dorchester County, Maryland has hit upon a successful event and for the last  36 years hosted a Seafood Feast-i-val and invites the public to an all-you-can-eat afternoon on the waterfront.



     So I was more than willing to pony up $37 for my ticket, knowing that it was going to a good and worthy cause, as well as providing me with an outstanding meal.  And as I read the advertising I noted that the menu was impressive:

     Steamed Crabs                           Crab Soup                           Fried Fish
     Fried Clams                                BBQ Chicken                      Hot Dogs
     Sliced Tomatoes                        Corn on the Cob                 Watermelon
     Ranch Fries                               Sweet Potato Fries              Soda


     The feast-i-val was scheduled to be held at Sailwinds Park in Cambridge rain or shine from 1pm-6pm on Saturday August 8.  So I made sure I was there in plenty of time, arriving around 12:30.  There was already a line waiting to get into the park, so I found my place at the end and looked around at all the others standing patiently in the noonday sun.  And right away I realized I was in trouble.  Everyone else had either a large cardboard box lid or an aluminum baking pan in hand and I did not.  It was clear that I was missing something as a neophyte to the event.  So I began to ask those around me the purpose of the boxes and pans.


     The explanation was simple.  To reduce the number of trips back and forth from the food booths and the tables under the big top tents the boxes and pans acted as large trays.  They could be loaded with several different plates of food, like half a dozen crabs, some soup, a chicken leg and an ear of cornall at the same time.  Without the makeshift tray I would have to go back and forth for each separate item.  Realizing my error in preparation a man in line just behind me kindly offered to return to his car and fetch me an extra box lid for me.  That proved to be a very generous gesture that benefited me greatly.


     I spent the next 3 hours enjoying the food, the musical entertainment and the conviviality of those sitting around me.  It was quite an education as I watched feast-i-val veterans work their way through mountains of food.  It was an amazing event!




     Next year I will be better prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment