Monday, October 5, 2015

Ciao!

     While my computer was being serviced and updated I spent some time in culinary research.  Since my favorite cuisine in the world is that of Tuscany I decided to learn first hand about its history and culture.  And while in Italy I also delighted in some of the other regions, just to compare recipes.



     Cucina Italiana is not a singular flavor but rather a palate of cooking tastes and styles.  And while Italy is known for its simplicity, emphasizing quality over quantity, there are 20 different regions within the country that did not nationalize until the 19th Century.  Fresh, seasonal and local are the benchmarks of Italian cuisine throughout the nation.  Using few ingredients and straightforward cooking methods chefs create food full of flavor sourced from the fish of the sea that surrounds them, meat, both freshly butchered and cured, from the farm, and vegetables from the garden.  Over their long history Italians have mastered the use of olive oil, cheese and tomatoes to accent and highlight each meal.  And with over 350 shapes of pasta, dried and fresh, it's no wonder that the average Italian consumes 62 pounds of it a year!



     My education began as I became accustomed to the meal schedule.  Colazione is breakfast and is unlike the American counterpart.  It is usually very light and is most commonly just cafe latte and pastry.



     Pranzo is eaten around 1pm and is traditionally the heartiest meal of the day.  It is not hurried but enjoyed in no less than 4 courses: Antipasti (literally "before pasta"), Primi (first course), Secundo (main course) that can include Contorno (side dishes), and Dolce (dessert).



     Cena is equivalent to our evening meal and is a lighter version of Pranzo, typically not begun until after 7pm in most households.  It could include unused portions of lunch.

     In the next few days join me as I recount my journey.  Buon Giorno!  

No comments:

Post a Comment