Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cheesy

I began my Tuesday segment of the 1st Annual Great American Culinary Tour with a stop at the Cabot Creamery.
 
It was almost 10 AM and I was the only person in line for the tour.  Deb Maxwell, the visitors center manager, kindly agreed to show me the workings of the place, starting with a very informative video.  Cabot is a cooperative venture of dairy farmers begun in 1919 and processes a million pounds of milk daily from local farmers.  But only half of that amount becomes the well known Cabot cheddar cheese.  The other half becomes butter, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese,  and yogurt.  I thoroughly enjoyed the personal tour as I watched the curds and whey being separated and eventually being formed into cheese that will age for years in a separate storage facility.
     After sampling several cheeses I then returned to my vehicle to resume my culinary tour.  It was a great start for my day!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to visit the home of the "World's Best Cheddar" Vinny! Our farm family owners appreciate your support!~Gail

    ReplyDelete