Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cherry Garcia

     On my way to my Monday evening lodging in Stowe I passed through Waterbury.  Little did I know that I would pass by the Ben & Jerry's ice cream plant.  It was on my list of places to visit on Tuesday but since I was already there I decided to stop and and tour the place.  Here is what I saw when I got out of my car:
 
Upon entering the building I discovered that tours were given every half hour, so with my senior citizen discount I plunked down my $3 and waited for the next one to begin.  Bob, the tour guide (all 6'10" of him) was eagerly awaiting our group at the front desk:
 
Soon we were off and up 24 stairs to view a brief video which described the humble origins of the landmark ice cream company.  Ben & Jerry learned their craft through a correspondence course on ice cream making from Penn State and combined that knowledge with a strong work ethic and social conscience to become the world's best known purveyor of ice cream.  Their fun loving flavor names are recognized around the globe.  The day I visited the plant was manufacturing Caramel Sutra.  They have a straightforward business principle: "You keep eating it, we'll keep making it."
     Following the tour we made our way down 24 stairs to the Research & Development room


where we were given a walnut sized sample of their product in a small paper cup, minus a spoon.  It was just enough to make us want to go to the ice cream counter and order up a real serving of one of their many flavors, which I did.  I got a large scoop of chocolate therapy.
     Here are some Ben & Jerry factoids:
1.  Only fair trade ingredients are used in their ice cream
2. Ice cream is best served when it is at 10 degrees F
3. The quicker the ice cream slurry is frozen the smaller the crystals in it.  Ben & Jerry's is flash frozen at -40 degrees
4. All ice cream contains air bubbles.  The lower the percentage the better the ice cream.   Ben & Jerry's has 15%.  Bargain brands have up to 50%
5. Ben & Jerry's is sold mainly in pint containers so the ice cream can be consumed at one setting.
     Here are some eager tourists enjoying a Vermontster:
 


1 comment:

  1. Holy crap!!! That Vermonster is HUGE! And to consume a pint in one sitting would be to consume around 500-600 cals. Woah.

    ReplyDelete