Friday, September 21, 2012

Fall into Autumn

     Tomorrow is the Autumnal Equinox when the sun is directly over the equator and daylight and darkness will be of equal proportion.  There are already signs of Fall's arrival.  The robins are beginning to gather in our back field as they prepare to migrate south for the Winter.  Spiders have spun their webs in places that invariably catch us in the face.  And of course school buses slow traffic morning and evening as they pick up and discharge students.

     I particularly enjoy this time of year.  The crisp morning air is exhilarating and the colors are nothing short of breath taking.  It is also a time to amend the menu for the dinner table. Gone are the summer salads in favor of more hearty, nourishing meals.  So this coming week I am planning to prepare turkey chili and beef stew and also to experiment with the pork and apple pie that I mentioned in a previous post.  And I think I will attempt a variation of clam chowder from Rhode Island that is also new to me.  Putting my cast iron skillet to use I may even try a German pear pancake one night.

     Savor the wonders of Autumn and think of ways to celebrate the season with warming meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment