Tuesday, September 4, 2012

State Fair Burnout

     After 3 straight 6+ hour days at the Minnesota State Fair I'm ready to return home.  I have what the musical cowboy trio, Riders in the Sky, would call State Fair Burnout.  I witnessed more food on a stick than I can recall, everything from the mundane salad on a stick to the exotic ostrich and alligator versions.  I consumed far more than my fair share of garlic fries and Tom Thumb mini doughnuts and really did enjoy a sausage gravy covered scone for breakfast one day.  The bacon ice cream did not live up to expectations but at the dairy building where the 90 pound carved in butter likenesses of Princess Kay and the Milky Way are on display I really enjoyed a chocolate and raspberry sundae.

     Sweet Martha's Cookies were tantalizing as they always are, gooey fresh out of the oven chocolate chip delights that go down so quickly with a cool glass of all you can drink milk for sale from the Midwest Dairy Association.  And of course no trip to the fair would be complete without a fresh roasted ear of corn on the cob dipped in melted butter and generously seasoned with salt and pepper.  I did manage to get the rest of our entourage to sample some fried SPAM curds and even purchased a can of their newest incarnation to take home, Jalapeno SPAM.  But I chose to pass up a massive hunk of thick fat laden bacon on a stick.  My intestinal track would have never forgiven me for such a transgression.  In it's place I ingested a healthy (?) fried walleye sandwich with sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce on a bun.

     When I get back to my own keyboard I will report on more gustatory episodes from this year's visit to the "Great Minnesota Get Together."  Photos included!

No comments:

Post a Comment