Monday, September 24, 2012

From near and far


     One of the highlights of my trip to the nation's seat was a visit to The Eastern Market in the Capital Hill neighborhood.  For over 136 years it has been providing farm fresh produce and handmade arts and crafts to the public.  In fact, it is DC's oldest continually operated fresh food public market, established in 1873 and rebuilt in 2009 after a devastating fire.  I visited on Saturday when the local vendors from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia were selling the bounty of their harvest, from sweet peaches to juicy ripe tomatoes.
 

It was glorious!

     And of course the keynote of any farmers' market is the local produce.  But as I strolled the aisles in the market I noted that some of the items weren't from around there.  Upon closer inspection I saw some things on sale that were produced closer to where I lived north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Keller's Butter and Hatfield pork products were just two items I could have gotten back home (at about half the price!)


And then there was the imported chitterlings that came from Denmark.  Really?  At a farmers' market?

No comments:

Post a Comment