Thursday, January 17, 2013

Keeping up with the Joneses'

     It was my good fortune to be the recipient of a free ticket to the theatre last night.  To celebrate  I decided to take myself out to dinner prior to the 8 pm performance and not wanting to feel stuffed and uncomfortable as I sat in the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia, the town affectionately known as "The Big Scrapple" I thought of a place just one block over on Chestnut Street, Jones.  It is just one of many arrows in the quiver of the Starr Restaurant Organization,  the brainchild of the amazing Stephen Starr.  He is the mastermind behind a dozen or so themed and cuisine conscious eateries around town.

     Jones is billed as a contemporary American comfort food restaurant.  It has an all day menu of items your mother would make and includes 3 breakfast all day offerings: a 3 egg omelet, egg sandwich, and breakfast burrito.  The menu lists the standard fare with appetizers like hummus and pita and cheese pierogies, soups and salads, sandwiches and over a dozen entrees including such favorites as meatloaf, chicken pot pie and sesame seared tuna.  Nothing is exceptional but everything is good.  And the prices do not break the bank.

     The contemporary design is a bit dated at this point with the sunken living room, see through fireplace and swivel chairs at the table opposite a surprisingly low bench seat.  Unfortunately the rough hewn stone walls and columns, along with the wooden panels throughout serve only to bounce the sound around which makes the space uncomfortably noisy.  There is precious little to absorb the decibels created by the crowd that arrives to get a first come, first served, no reservation table.

     It was refreshing to be served by a genuinely friendly staff that did not have an "I'm doing you a favor to serve you" attitude that is found in other more pretentious dining establishments around town.  Each member of the team was cheerful, courteous, and most importantly, prompt.

     So what did I have before my evening out and about town?  I decided on a soup and salad and began with a warming bowl of chicken rice soup, a meal in itself with the warm dinner rolls provided.  The salad was a mountain of mixed greens, diced tomatoes, onions and corn with still warm lightly fried calamari and drizzled with a spicy chipotle dressing.  It was a challenge to clean my plate as I had been taught to do as a child but I was successful as I enjoyed dinner conversation above the din with the diners to each side of me who were also marveling at the portions they received.

     Good food, reasonable prices.  Two reasons to return to Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment