Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Spicing it up

     Yesterday I mentioned the shelf life of spices.  So after you have discarded all those old stale spices that you've been keeping in the kitchen in those red and white metal tins, where do you go to replenish them?  My suggestion is to go on line and look for a nearby Penzey's store and restock your pantry with a few of their multitudinous offerings.  Now that might not be such an easy task considering that there are only 2 of their stores in the entire commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  It might be easier to purchase their products on line, come to think of it.

     I'm very fortunate to have one of their outlets in nearby Chestnut Hill, an affluent section of Philadelphia.  It's only a short 20 minute ride there and I find myself in their store at least once a month to purchase the smallest jars of spices.  That way they do not linger on my shelves for months (and years) on end.
     Bill Penzey, the founder, has an interesting philosophy.  He equates cooking to world peace and elevates the simple task of cooking to an act of compassion that is at the heart of humanity.  Here is one of his quotes, "...the reality is that each act of cooking honestly creates a better future for everyone everywhere."  And he admonishes us with these words: "Bring those you care about together and share your love for them.  And if possible, cook.  It really does make the world a far more perfect place."

Gee, I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment