Monday, May 6, 2013

Party Animal

    


   Yup, that's me.  A real party animal when it comes to celebrating.  Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, a holiday that many wrongly believe is Mexican Independence Day.  But that annual event is actually observed on September 16th.  May 5th celebrates the Battle of Puebla when in 1861 French forces invaded Mexico and were defeated by a Mexican army half its size.  It was the first defeat of French forces in 50 years.  The victory came to symbolize the end of Europe's dominance of the Western Hemisphere and also a symbol for Mexican solidarity and pride.

     But back to my personal celebration of the day...When the clouds dissipated and the temp reached 50 degrees, my minimum for motorcycle riding, I took off on my chrome pony in search of a celebratory breakfast worthy of the event.  My destination was the Sunflower Cafe on Charlotte Street just outside Pottstown, PA. 
 
     It's a popular place for locals to enjoy a hearty breakfast or lunch 7 days a week and I was fortunate to find a seat available at the counter.  Looking over the blackboard of morning specials I was pleased to find just the meal for the day: Cinco de Mayo Island Breakfast Wrap.  It was a huge meal of eggs, potato, kiwi bacon, black beans, plantains, rice, and jack cheese all wrapped up in an oversize flour tortilla and topped with a corn and tomato salsa.  A true fiesta for my palate!

     While all the specials are listed on the board, I could have also ordered off the extensive menu that includes things like The Flying Dutchman, Shirley Style Eggs, Texas Eggs in a Hole or the signature Sunflower Omelet.  They also have a flat top grill going to cook up immense slices of french toast and buttermilk pancakes, and a personal Byron family treat, chocolate chip pancakes.

     The ride home in the morning sun was glorious as I ventured through little towns with interesting names like Ringing Hill and Faulkner's Swamp.  My celebration was complete.  



No comments:

Post a Comment