Thursday, May 2, 2013

Variations on a Theme

     I was eager to baste Tuesday's fish dinner with Salmoriglio, the Sicilian sauce that I recently discovered.  But first I had to decide how to cook the haddock fillet that I had purchased from my fish monger.  I figured that since the lemon, olive oil and salt based liquid originated in Italy I should prepare the fish using the same cuisine.  Italian, especially Tuscan cooking, is one of my favorites.  Its cardinal rule is to use what is local, fresh and in season.  Perusing the Epicurious app on my iPad I found a recipe that sounded just right, Italian-Style Baked Haddock.

     In looking down the list of ingredients I decided to make some minor substitutions, to maintain the principle of local, fresh and available.  Instead of using canned tomatoes I opted for some fresh grape tomatoes I had just purchased, and quartered them into a small dice.  I also supplemented the green bell pepper with some ripe red ones for added color.  And to keep the subtle flavor of "the other white fish" I deleted the use of the grated mozzarella.

     The resulting topping of sauteed onion, bell pepper and tomato was enhanced with just a dash of crumbled dried basil and some freshly ground pepper.  The fillet went into a lightly greased glass dish and then crowned with the topping and baked in the oven for 25 minutes.  While it cooked I made up the salmoriglio and whisked those ingredients together.  When the fish was plated and served we then added the Sicilian sauce at the table.

     It was incredibly good.  Closing my eyes I could imagine myself at a seaside table along the Amalfi coast looking out over the sea.



1 comment: