Thursday, June 6, 2013

Creating a legend

     According to legend, it was a hot July day in Essex, Massachusetts in 1916 when Lawrence "Chubby" Woodman invented the first fried clam by rolling a shucked whole-belly soft-shell clam in some crumbs and immersing it in the cauldron of hot oil he used for frying his potato chips.  Not only was this a stroke of culinary genius, but Chubby's timing was also impeccable.  Following the First World War America was on the move and wanted something good to eat: something that was fast, convenient and inexpensive.  And thus the clam shack had it's humble beginning.

 
     During my stay in the Newport area I came across an iconic clam shack, Flo's.  Located on Wave Avenue, it's been an institution by the bay since 1936.  A classic "in the rough" eating establishment it's a combination of hangout, restaurant and meeting place for locals who want good food at a decent price.  In fact, on Friday night when I visited they were offering their end of the week special, a full prime rib dinner for $9.95.  It was indeed an amazing meal with a slab of meat so big it was literally falling off the plates of the two women at the table next to me.  The beef was accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and a huge salad.  Commending them for their effort they confided to me that they will take home what they could not finish and have at least two more meals at home!


     As good as that prime rib meal looked, I could not bring myself to have beef at a clam shack.  So I ordered up another cup of Rhode Island clam chowder (I can't seem to get enough of it!), a stuffie, and a classic top split lobster roll brimming with succulent claw meat.

     Following the instructions, I placed my order by the outside window and found my way upstairs to the balcony that overlooked the beach and waited for my electronic lobster to light up informing me that my meal was ready for pick up.  In a few minutes I was summoned and picked up a tray full of oceanic delights.  As the sun was going down I exulted in the soft breeze coming in through the open roof and savored a memorable meal.  Life doesn't get much better than that!



No comments:

Post a Comment