Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Manhattan, New Mexico

Santa Fe Clam Chowder 

     Ever since I attended the Great Chowder Cook-Off in Newport, RI earlier this month I have felt a new found freedom with my cooking.  While sampling all the different chowders there I realized more latitude with recipes than I have ever witnessed before.  So now back home I am more willing to experiment by combining flavors.

     So when I found a recipe for a Santa Fe Clam Chowder I was intrigued as I looked over the list of ingredients and wondered how the tomato based Manhattan style chowder would fare with some decidedly southwest inclusions.  The result was an interesting combination of two familiar tastes and the recipe is definitely a "keeper."
    
     Al Novack, my official soup taste tester gave the soup an A rating.  He termed it "Mexicanna Manhattan" and described it this way, "...it was tangy, it had a kick and it had a taste that kept me coming back for more until the bowl was empty."

     Here is the recipe for you to try:

Santa Fe Clam Chowder
 
2 Tbsp EVOO                                                     1 tsp dried oregano
4 oz Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/3" dice       1 tsp dried ground cumin
12 oz potatoes, cut into 1/2" dice                   1 cup canned crushed tomatoes with puree
1 medium onion, chopped                               1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 celery stalk, chopped                                      3-8 oz bottles clam juice
1/3 cup diced green chilies                             24 little neck clams, scrubbed
1 lg jalapeno chili, seeded & chopped           6 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
 
     Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.  Add chorizo; saute until fat is rendered.  Add next 6 ingredients; saute until onion begins to soften.  Mix in oregano and cumin, then tomatoes, corn and bottled clam juice.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer until potatoes are almost tender.
 
     Add clams to mixture in pot; cover and cook over medium-high heat until clams open and potatoes are tender.  Mix in 4 Tbsp cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper.  Divide clams among 6 shallow soup bowls.  Ladle chowder over.  Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve.
 
serves 6
 
recipe from Bon Appetit. March 2002
 
Vinny note:  As a substitute for fresh clams I used a combination of canned minced clams, canned whole baby clams and smoked clams.  I added them to the chowder just as the potatoes were tender and removed the pot from the stove.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment