Monday, September 9, 2013

Where's the Beef?

     I realize that when it comes to the world of the culinary arts I am a neophyte.  There is a lot I have yet to learn.  But I am an enthusiastic student and eager to increase my fund of knowledge on the subject.  That's why I did some research on a portion of the meal I recently enjoyed at The Heartland Restaurant.

     When I took notice to one item on the menu I wasn't sure what exactly it was.  Is Limousin beef a type of cut, like a tenderloin, or a style of cooking, like braising?  Turns out it is neither.  The term Limousin refers to an area in France where the beef breed originated over 20,000 years ago.  Cave drawings there clearly depict the highly muscled cattle bred in the Limousin and Marche regions.  But it wasn't until about 50 years ago that the characteristically reddish hued cattle were exported outside of France.  Today they can be found in over 70 countries world wide and in all 50 of our United States.



     They are genetically leaner beef and documented research by such august Midwestern universities as Iowa State have concluded that Limousin beef is 95% fat free.  The breed excels in converting grain into lean, red meat, not fat.  In fact, the meat contains only 2.5% fat which is half the amount found in other Choice beef.  It contains no more cholesterol than chicken or pork.  It is lower in calories and saturated fat than any other cut of beef on the market and has been found to be more tender, juicy and flavorful.

     No wonder the industry's slogan is "Lean on Limousin."

No comments:

Post a Comment