Friday, February 21, 2014

Dinner at Supper

     I was very fortunate to receive a special gift card for a dinner for two at Supper, a restaurant on iconic South Street in Philadelphia.  Last night I was there with my gourmand companion to take advantage of their chef's tasting menu.  It's not a large place, but with two floors can seat about 75 people comfortably in their countrified setting.  We had the classic "table for two by the window" as we looked over our menu options.


     I began my four course meal with miniature stuffed pastries stuffed with a spicy pimento filling, served with a slice of dill pickle.  Smooth and creamy with just a hint of heat they were exceptionally good.  That was soon followed by a velvety sweet potato soup caressed with marshmallow and accented with a fried sage leaf.  


     It wasn't long before the entree appeared, a healthy portion of seared halibut in a pool of oyster sauce and a raft of kale with two spools of rye bread.  The fish was tender and moist and flaked nicely when touched by my fork.  It was perhaps the best seafood I've ever tasted.


     And as a fitting conclusion to the meal, the pie of the week was a tantalizing baked pear drizzled with chocolate sauce, accompanied with a tiny dollop of butterscotch ice cream.

     It was indeed an evening well spent!  And as parting gift I was presented with a jar of their own homemade tomato jam.  Can't wait to try it on some scrapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment