Tuesday, July 1, 2014

City by the Bay, Northern Edition

     Vancouver, BC is a coastal seaport city, the most densely populated municipality in all of Canada with nearly 14 thousand people per square mile.  And those residents are among the most ethnically and linguistically diverse on the planet.  52% of the population has a first language other than English.

     With those facts in mind I decided it was a perfect place to find a incomparable meal.  And the cuisine of choice would obviously be seafood.  And it didn't take long for my dining companion and fellow gourmand to discover the Blue Water Cafe in the Yaletown section of the city.  The restaurant is housed in a converted brick and beam heritage warehouse, understated yet at the same time elegant.  They are recognized for sourcing wild, sustainable seafood and have consistently been named the best seafood restaurant in Vancouver and considered one of North America's finest for their selection and preparation of the "fruit of the sea."


     Those are pretty tall claims.  So we went in to take a look at the menu.  I must admit it was pretty impressive, and overwhelming.  If I chose one entree that meant that I could not enjoy one of the others.  Once I had made up my mind it was filled with indecision.  What to do?  Knowing that I would probably not return anytime soon, I opted for a sampler, a little of a lot.  The Shellfish Plateau was an amazing assortment of all things aquatic.  On one plate before me I could enjoy prawns, oysters, mussels, clams, scallops and yes, even jellyfish!



     The Blue Water Cafe not only lived up to my expectations, it surpassed them!  Even the jellyfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment