Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Souper Soup

     A few weeks ago I mentioned receiving a new cook book.  It's all about eating healthy with realistic recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.  So I paged through and found one that looked good.  And as a added plus when going down the list of ingredients I realized that I had all of them on hand.  It was titled, Happy as a Clam Chowder.  Now I did make one substitution with the author's permission.  Debbie Walker indicated that in place of canned clams canned salmon was satisfactory.  And since my mail order of canned smoked salmon from Edible Canada had arrived I used it.  The result was exquisite!  Here's the recipe for you to try:

                                           Happy As a Clam Chowder

Chop:
     1 large onion                              2 carrots
     1 cup of celery                           6 medium potatoes

Brown onion.  Add all other vegetables and 1 cup of water.  Steam with lid on for 20 minutes, stirring 3-4 times.

When vegetables are tender add:
     8 cups 1% milk                          4 Tbsp parsley
     2 tsp sea salt                              2 tsp paprika
     1-2 cans clams and/or salmon

Simmer 10 minutes or until hot clear through.

Mix 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 cup water.  Add to chowder mix.  Stir until thickened -- 5 minutes.

Serve with cornbread.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment