Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Watercress is Best?

     Last week I reported on a study that declared watercress to be the most nutrient dense food known to humankind.  So immediately I went out and purchased a bunch of it to try some for myself.  I must admit that I only used it in salads, but with that introduction to the best of the best I have to say that I was underwhelmed.  Perhaps I got a bad bunch, or maybe it isn't a good year for watercress, I'm not sure.  But it did leave me wondering how such a lackluster cruciferous green could rate such acclaim.

     So I picked up my iPad and went to the Epicurious app to see what other ways watercress can be prepared for consumption.  Not surprisingly it is most often the primary partner in salads and sandwiches.  But one recipe caught my eye, that being Watercress Soup, not chilled as some other soups were described, but rather heated and served warm.  Could watercress be hearty and bold?  Here's the recipe, you decide.


WATERCRESS SOUP

2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) unsalted butter          4 bunches watercress, tough stems trimmed,
1 medium yellow onion, chopped                          chopped (about 20 cups)
2 qts low-salt chicken broth                     1 1/2 tsp (or more) fresh lemon juice
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled,                     Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
          cut into 1/2" cubes                          1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
                                    3 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives, divided

     Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5-6 minutes.  Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

     Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. Let soup cool briefly.  Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.  Return soup to same pot. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice.  Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.

     Whisk cream with a pinch of salt in a large bowl until soft peaks form.  Fold in 1 1/2 Tbsp chives.

     Rewarm soup gently over low heat.  Divide soup among demitasse or small teacups and garnish each cup with a dollop of whipped cream.  Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp chives over.

Makes 10 servings
Recipe by Melissa Hamilton & Christopher Hirsheimer 
as it appeared in Bon Appetit  April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment