Monday, March 23, 2015

7 Hour Layover

     After conducting my 6 day culinary research in the Caribbean I was sadly heading home.  My research vessel docked at the Port of Ft. Lauderdale and I reluctantly disembarked just before noon.  But my subsequent flight home was not scheduled to depart until 7:30 pm.  That gave me 7 hours to do some exploring with hopes of discovering some interesting food venues in south Florida.  And as luck would have it, there was 1 spot remaining on a walking foodie tour of a section of town known as Las Olas.


     
     Meaning "the waves" in Spanish, Las Olas is in the riverfront part of Ft. Lauderdale and runs from the Elbo Room Bar at the water's edge to the Museum of Art.  The local Chamber of Commerce boldly describes it this way..."It is 17 blocks of sidewalk cafes, world class shopping, internationally acclaimed art galleries, fine dining, sizzling nightlife, and more..."  It is home to glitterati past and present the likes of Johnny Weissmuller, Connie Francis, Lee Majors, Sonny & Cher and Gloria Vanderbilt.

     As I made my way to the meeting place of the walking tour it was difficult for me to comprehend that prior to 1917 Ft. Lauderdale was little more than a dirt road that crossed swampy wetlands and serious commercial development of the area only began there after World War II.  I met the rest of my tour group, and the guide at Pan'e Dolci, an amazing Italian bakery on Las Olas Boulevard.  And that is where I began a memorable and tasteful culinary sojourn to 6 unique and amazing food venues.



No comments:

Post a Comment