Monday, March 9, 2015

A Fish Story

     It is a known fact that 71% of the earth is covered by water.  And of that amount 96.5% is contained in the world's oceans.  That's a lot of water!  So it was a daunting task for me to attempt to do an in-depth culinary study of such an abundant supply of food that we extract from those waters.  There are many different species of fish that are caught for food as well as delicious crustaceans like crabs, lobsters and shrimp.  And if you are so inclined you can also enjoy some tasty mollusks that include clams, snails, oysters and octopus.



     I began my study by flying to Florida and from there boarded a research vessel to examine (and taste) my way through the waters of the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.  Our itinerary included the Conch Republic, a Commonwealth of the British Empire, and Mexico, in addition to the Florida peninsula.
 


     For the next few days I will report to you my findings of this intense and exhausting 6 day  survey of aquatic food.

No comments:

Post a Comment