Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Banq On It!

     There was no poutine when French explorer Jacques Cartier first stepped foot on the island in 1535.  He did find, however, a large community of Iroquois "first people" living around the base of the highest prominence which Cartier named Mont Royale that eventually became the name for the entire island we now call Montreal.


     No one exactly knows who really came up with the idea of combining fries, cheese curds and gravy into a single dish.  There are several claims to the invention, all originating in the Quebec Providence.  And while the restaurant La Banquise did not create poutine they did revolutionize it.



     Open 24 hours a day La Banquise was founded in 1968 by firefighter Pierre Barsalou as an ice cream shop.  He expanded his menu sometime later to include hot dogs and fries.  But it was not until the 80s that he began to serve poutine, and then only two varieties, Original and Italian.  Now with 30 different options to consider on the menu it is without doubt the premier poutine palace in the city, if not the entire nation.
 


     Acclaimed by the likes of Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations, the Montreal Mirror newspaper has also bestowed the dual honors of "Best Late Night Eat" and "Best Poutine" to La Banquise.
 

      So without doubt that had to be my first dinner destination on Monday.  Located in the Mile End section of Montreal it was a brief taxi ride to the quirky and comfortable location.  With so many options on the menu which also included burgers and breakfasts, I had a difficult time making my choice.  But I finally ordered the B.O. M. which is an acronym for Bacon, Onions and Merguez, a spicy sausage.  And then I had another decision to make.  Should I order the regular or the large size?  Since I probably would not be back to try both I decided to live large and ordered the one that came in a bowl instead of a mere plate.
 


     It was amazing!  At the same time it was crisp, savory, squeaky and gooey.  The flavors all distinct yet melding into a unique gastronomic experience.  It was Christmas, Thanksgiving and the 4th of July (for Americans at least) all rolled up into one holiday in my mouth.  I confessed to my young waitress that it was my first time.  She just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment