Monday, April 20, 2015

Oh Canada!

     In my never ending hunger (and thirst) for knowledge I traveled north of the border last week in search of authentic Canadian cuisine.



     My travels took me to Montreal, the largest city in Quebec province, an island in the St. Lawrence River.  There like in Quebec, French is the primary language followed by English and over a hundred other native tongues.  My accommodations were located in Vieux Montreal, that is, Old City, at the Auberge Bonaparte where I was treated like a member of the royal family by the amiable and efficient staff.  And it was from there that I began my quest to learn about a Quebecois creation, Poutine.




     Poutine (pronounced Poo-tin) in its basic form is made from only 3 ingredients: fries, brown gravy and cheese curds.  




     But that is only the beginning, a foundation of sorts, to which to create endless possibilities with some likely and unlikely additions.  There are many variations in the poutine recipe book, just as there are definitions to the name itself.  Poutine can be translated as a hodgepodge, a pudding or bad stew according to different sources.  But it is at the same time a mess and very tasty!  Typically served in what has been termed "greasy spoon" eateries, it also appears on the menu in some rather high-end restaurants around town.




     I had 4 days to learn about this Canadian contribution to the lexicon of gastronomic delights.  In the next few days I will reveal my findings, along with some other interesting local specialties.

No comments:

Post a Comment