Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Depuis 1928

     Having studied the French language for 2 years twice (it's a long story) I was able to translate most of the signs and menus in Montreal.  And with most things also written in English I did fairly well as I made my way around the city.  Some things were easier to understand than others...



     But as I walked up St. Laurent Boulevard I didn't need a translator for the Charcuterie Hebraique de Montreal known by simply one name, Schwartz's.  After all, it's been around depuis (since) 1928.  They have been smoking brisket literally by the ton for nearly 90 years.  Their smoked meat (viande fume) sandwich is the headliner on the menu, served with fries and a enormous Jewish dill pickle.  So of course I had to give it a try.  
 


     There's nothing fancy about the deli.  Just a bunch of long tables and a counter to serve customers the likes of Celine Dion, Hank Aaron, Burt Lancaster and Jerry Lewis, and Vinny Garette.  I received a friendly reception from the all male wait staff and we exchanged some good natured humor as I asked about what made them an institution in the city.  Speaking easily in French and English I learned that they smoke the meat for 10 days and that right over my head on the second floor was 10 tons of brisket aging and waiting to be served to customers from near and far.  On an average day they serve up 2,000 pounds of that legendary smoked meat in mouth watering white rye sandwiches slathered in yellow mustard.




     It was juicy and flavorful and sweet, balanced by the sharp tang of the dill pickle.  And my drink of choice?  Why, Canada Dry of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment