Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Porking it Up

     It was quite a week on the road for me.  I began my journey last Wednesday and headed west and then south.  Once I crossed the Mason-Dixon line I spent about 10 minutes in Maryland and another half hour in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia before getting into the Old Dominion State.  The Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park was my overnight accommodation as I motored down the Skyline Drive.  The breath taking views I had hoped for were obscured however by a milky haze emanating far north from Canadian provence wild fires.



     Thursday I pushed on and spent the day making my way to Tryon, NC to attend the Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival.  Known to Carolinians as "Upstate" the foothills of western North Carolina is a beautiful and laid back portion of the Tar Heel State and the home to the State Championship of BBQ for the past 22 years.  I found my way to the Pine Crest Inn, a literal campus of cottages nestled just on the edge of town then began to explore to get the lay of the land.  



     It wasn't difficult to follow the directions and locate Harmon Field where the festival was to be held.  Things were already set up and ready to go for the two day event.  There were 2 stages set for the musical groups and an area for children with a Ferris wheel and the like.  There was an area for vendors selling crafts and a large section for the competitors to set up shop.  And most importantly, there was a large infield with 2 circus style tents set up with tables and chairs where attendees could sit and eat all the food for sale from vendors far and wide.  Off to one side was an austere covered concrete slab being readied for the judging of contestant's "Que."



     I got to meet some very nice people during my stay, people like Rusty Cook (really, that was his name!), a good old boy from Tennessee, Dave Roper, and Jason Cole, General Manager of Larkin's Carolina Grill in neighboring Columbus.  I also had the opportunity to learn about the serious business of barbecue competition.  More on that tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment