Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Southern Style

     Inquiring where I could find an authentic southern meal I was directed to a local restaurant near where I was staying in Tryon, NC "just turn left onto Highway 176 at the Sunoco Station," I was told.  Caro Mi is run by a local family and had a real hometown feel to it as I walked across the covered bridge that separated the building from the parking lot.



     Inside it had a comfortable look with pennants from colleges near and far festooned across the walls.  The staff was prompt and cordial in finding me a table and offering me some soothing sweet tea.  It wasn't long before some classic sides were brought to my table: warm biscuits with butter, some amazing coleslaw that had a tart and tasty tang, and a serving of macaroni salad made from a secret recipe.  After looking over the menu I decided to order the mountain rainbow trout with green beans and a baked apple.  The waitress brought them out on a tray almost immediately and filleted the trout table side.  




     And while I was impressed with her speed from the kitchen to my table, it also gave me cause for concern.  It was impossible for the fish to be prepared and cooked in the time that had elapsed after I had placed my order.  That signaled to me that sometime before I arrived the trout had seen the skillet and had been sitting waiting for someone to request it.  My apprehension was well founded when I took my first bite of the limp, sodden entree.  It was not what I had hoped for and was almost mushy, the skin not crisp at all.  And to add to my dismay the green beans were clearly out of a can, not a garden.  The baked apple was barely distinguishable, and while it did have an authentic taste, it was not pleasing to the eye.




     What began as a hopeful introduction into southern style cooking became a disappointing dining event in the South.  But the biscuits, slaw and macaroni salad were exceptional as was the sweet tea.  Guess I should have just had them as my meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment