Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Howdy, Partner!

     My trip to Texas this past weekend was eventful, to say the least.  My purpose in traveling there was culinary in nature, as I continued to explore and learn about different foods and cultures.  And once again I learned a lot about both.  I went there to attend the Texas Monthly magazine's Barbecue Festival held on Sunday November 1st in Austin. But  I wanted some time to first get acquainted with the land and the people and so decided to arrive a few days ahead of time.

 
     That afforded me an opportunity to observe and to learn about our 28th state.  Texas was first claimed by the Spanish conquistadors in 1519 who when they arrived were greeted by the Native Americans who had occupied the land for thousands of years.  For a time Texas was also controlled by the French and then the Mexican government.  From 1836 to 1845 it was an independent entity, The Republic of Texas, eventually joining the United States until seceding from the Union to join the Confederacy in 1861 until the end of the Civil War and Reconstruction.



     The cuisine of Texas is as varied as the people who call it home.   Immigrant populations brought with them their own ethnic style of cooking and preparing food.  German, British, Mexican, Native American and Italian influences are all evident.   But I was there for the style that Texas is famous for:  Barbecue!  And not the pork barbecue of the Carolinas or Tennessee but big, bold beef 'cue, the kind that is an alchemy of only basic 3 elements: heat, smoke and spice.  Those three transform a cut of beef into a luxurious, tender, mouth-watering meal.



     In the next few VinnyPosts I will relate to you my cultural journey in The Lone Star State.

No comments:

Post a Comment