Thursday, November 19, 2015

Making a List

     Today I just reviewed the list of items that I will need to prepare this year's Thanksgiving feast at our house.  Some of the things listed are fairly common, like celery, carrots and potatoes. But there's one that I hadn't heard of before.  One recipe I'm using calls for pomegranate molasses.


     Not being familiar with this Middle Eastern staple that originated in Iran, I had to do some research.  Here's what I learned:

     First, the term molasses is a bit misleading.  The thick, viscous reduction of pomegranate juice is more akin to syrup, an intensely flavored syrup that is tangy and a little musky with a slightly acidic depth of flavor.  It has a variety of culinary applications.  For example, it can be:

Whisked into a salad dressing or vinaigrette
Stirred into iced tea, an alcoholic drink, or even plain sparkling water
Brushed on meat or meatloaf as a glaze
Drizzled over roasted vegetables (my planned usage)
Blended into dips like hummus, or relishes like onion
Splashed over ice cream or yogurt



And it is the secret weapon for adding flavor to stews, like the Persian Fesenjan, a combination of chicken and walnuts and pomegranate molasses.

So now I have some great ideas for ways to use the rest of the bottle after Thanksgiving has come and gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment