Monday, January 30, 2012

Singing the Blues

     My travels last Friday took me down to the University City section of Philly to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.  Before I left I went on line to look for restaurants that would be within walking distance and found one only 2 blocks away at 34th and Sansom Streets.  Baby Blues BBQ has been in existence for less than two years but looked inviting so I went in for dinner.

     I was seated near the front door and after ordering I decided to get up and look around to see the rest of the place.  I asked John, the manager, if he minded that while I wandered around I took some pictures so I could put them on my cooking blog.  He didn't mind at all and then proceeded to give me a personal tour of every nook and cranny of the restaurant including the secret room downstairs behind the swivel bookcase.
     When my meal arrived (I ordered the "Mason-Dixon") I began to chow down on the chicken and ribs and two sides when John brought over another plate of samples of their other stand-out side dishes.  He wanted me to try them as well.  Then during the meal the owners stopped by my table to ask how my dinner was going, and Steve offered me a bowl of their signature mashed sweet potatoes.
     I guess the word was out that Vinny was in town!  The food was fantastic and I could barely finish it all.  In fact, I had to bring some of the ribs home with me.  So as I was about to settle up for the meal Steve came by once again and said I wasn't finished yet and the waitress brought a banana creme dessert to my table.  It was so good!  I had to waddle back along 34th Street to get my car and drive home. 
 Here's a picture of Vinny with John and Steve:
     So the next time you're in West Philly, make a point to stop by Baby Blues BBQ if you want an authentic Memphis meal.  It's worth the trip!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment