Monday, April 16, 2012

One Hot Dish

     I enjoy parties where everyone brings something to eat.  I get to sample other people's cooking and I get to experiment with new recipes that I might not otherwise attempt.  Such was the case on Saturday when I attended a Spring celebration.  I found an interesting recipe for a Tex Mex salad that seemed interesting and uncomplicated.  So I dusted off my special ceramic container for the occasion (it was a gift) and began to put together my offering for the party.  As I began I realized that it was not going to be enough for all the invited guests so I quickly doubled what ingredients I could and began to improvise by adding things not in the recipe.  Creativity paid off and my salad was consumed in it's entirety with rave reviews.  Here's what it looked like as I left the house:


Tex Mex Salad

2 Tbsp whole grain mustard                                           corn kernels from 4 ears of corn
1 Tbsp lime juice                                                                1 can black beans, drained
1 tsp red wine vinegar                                                      1 red bell pepper, diced
3 Tbsp EVOO                                                                    4 radishes, sliced
salt                                                                                     3 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro                                                freshly ground pepper

     Whisk together mustard, lime juice, red wine vinegar, EVOO, and salt.  Add the cilantro.

     Grill the ears of corn and cut off the kernels and toss with the black beans, bell pepper, radishes and scallions.
    
     Toss with the dressing; season with salt and pepper.

Food Network Magazine, May 2012, p. 111.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment