Monday, July 29, 2013

The Pacific Northwest

     It took an entire day to get to my destination using a variety of conveyances, employing cars, vans, planes, trains and ferries.  But after a very long day of travel I was finally in the Pacific Northwest on one of over 600 islands called the San Juans.  I arrived in Friday Harbor just after 6pm and made my way to the Trumpeter Inn which was to be my base of operations for the next week.  My goal was to research the cuisine of the region.

     What I came to discover was that Pacific Northwest cuisine is really an amalgam of many cultures, for it is essentially a land of immigrants.  The food reflects the cultures of a wide variety of peoples that incorporates Asian, Native American, Italian and Greek influences, among others.  But basically it highlights fresh ingredients, simply prepared.  With a vast coastline stretching from northern Alaska to southern Oregon they enjoy Pacific salmon, king crab, halibut and herring in addition to numerous shellfish like oysters, clams and dungeoness crabs.  Inland crops include apples, stone fruit, berries and mushrooms.  And there is no shortage of wild game either.  Meat from moose, caribou, elk, bear and Dall sheep can be roasted or smoked to provide protein in the daily diet.

     Undoubtedly it is an international fusion.  But there are also some unique tastes as well.  Where else can you dine on stinkheads or geoducks?

     Join with me on a tour of a cultural and culinary exploration of the Pacific Northwest as my story unfolds.



No comments:

Post a Comment