Friday, August 9, 2013

An Unfortuitous Happenstance

     Friday Harbor on San Juan Island is not a large town.  But it is a tourist town with over a dozen different restaurants.  And being on an island, as you might expect, seafood is on just about every menu regardless of the cuisine.

     So one evening I decided to go Italian at a place that I thought would be perfect.  After all, what could go wrong at a place named Vinny's?  Things did not begin well when I walked in the door and looking at the nearly empty place was asked if I had a reservation.  Saying no, I was promptly placed at a table by the broom closet, staring out at a shiny corrugated steel wall of a warehouse that was reflecting the afternoon sun.

     Seafood did predominate the menu and I ordered my entree, the grilled Alaskan Halibut.  But when it was delivered to my table it was disappointingly apparent that the fish had never seen a grill and had been microwaved and positioned on some limp pasta.  No doubt the grill marks were synthetically imposed as the fish was processed at some distant whole sale market.

     It was a very unfortunate meal, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment