Thursday, August 15, 2013

Feeling at Home

     The Lavender Festival at the Pelindaba Lavender Farm was going full swing when I arrived.  There were numerous demonstrations going on and a marimba band was playing under a large tent.  I was naturally attracted to one demonstration in particular, the cooking one.  It was already in progress when I slipped down the side aisle and sat down in the front row next to a man wearing a T shirt which subtly spelled out "Coho."  At the conclusion of the demo about using culinary lavendar in meal preparation I struck up a conversation by asking if he worked at the restaurant in Friday Harbor or if he was just advertising for them.

     "Well, I guess you could say that I work there, " was his reply.  "I own the place."  Yes, I was sitting next to the owner, Dave Pass, who by the way grew up in Camp Hill, PA and went to school in Philadelphia.  His restaurant, Coho, is one of the premier dining establishments on San Juan Island and it is known for "island grown Pacific Northwest cuisine..."  Their menu is sourced from fresh ingredients from the surrounding islands and is located on Nichols Street in a former residence.  As we chatted further I asked about their hours of operation and how much in advance reservations should be made.  He told me that both he and his staff need a day off a week and so are open from Tuesday through Sunday.  I thanked him for the information and immediately made a dinner reservation for the following Tuesday so I could learn more about his take on Pacific Northwest cuisine.

 
     It was indeed like walking into someones home.  The restaurant had a cozy feel about it with only 9 tables.  Dave greeted me, remembering our conversation from a few days earlier and called me by name, Vinny!  As I looked over the menu I was impressed at the way he had intentionally incorporated locally sourced food for his meals. 



     I ordered the King Salmon which was served with roasted summer squash and heirloom tomato salsa over wild rice and chickpea socca.  The meal was at the same time impressive and straightforward in its simplicity.  But even more importantly, it tasted good!  I had finally gotten a handle on the perimeters of true Pacific Northwest cuisine.

 
     At the conclusion of my meal I perused the dessert menu but did not order.  That was because I knew that some award winning cookies awaited me back at my lodging. More on that tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment