Friday, August 16, 2013

Award Winning

    


     It has been said that an army travels on its stomach.  And while that is certainly true for the military, it is also true for the civilian traveler, too.  Especially when visiting a place for the first time it is crucial to have access to good food.  We are fortunate in our computer age to have the assistance of things like Trip Advisor and Yelp to recommend good restaurants and lodging.  But one person having a bad day can write a poor review that can taint the reputation of a worthy business.  And the impression received from an on-line contact is only as good as the creativity of the web master constructing it.

     With the kind assistance of my AAA trip advisor, Kristin, I looked carefully for a place to stay while out in the Pacific Northwest.  Together we looked over about a dozen different kinds of lodging before settling on a place just outside of Friday Harbor.  The Trumpeter Inn looked to be just another mid-fifties kind of place with rooms originally in some one's home that was converted to a B & B.  But what initially caught my eye was the comment that each afternoon freshly baked cookies were available for the guests.  Who does that?  Every day, fresh cookies?


     So my room was booked for the week and I eagerly waited to see what The Trumpeter Inn was really like.  After an extremely long day of travel I finally arrived at the long driveway to the inn and found Shaun, the innkeeper, waiting my arrival.  I was pleasantly surprised at what I found.  The property abounds with flowers and artful landscaping.  And while the building was originally a home, it had been enlarged to accommodate the full demands of a Bed & Breakfast.  And that included a full kitchen on the second floor.  It was the kitchen of my dreams!  And it had a little breakfast nook where I could settle in each morning at dawn to plan my day, have a cup of coffee and catch up on my e-mail.  And there were also cookies!  Shaun baked a different kind each day, in addition to an amazing full breakfast 7 days a week.  So much for my morning meal that I didn't need lunch and was fueled until the dinner hour.


     The trip to the Pacific Northwest to discover a new cuisine was a success.  I traveled across the continent and found more than I ever expected.  Good food, great weather, friendly people, and genuine hospitality.  Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment