Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Creme de la Creme

     I've posted previously about the many varied theme restaurants within the Walt Disney World complex.  But there is one that most people are not aware of, or choose to avoid due to the expense.  High atop the Boardwalk Resort is a rather small austere dining room.  It is understated in its elegance and has a small sign over the doorway which reads "Victoria & Albert's."



     Wanting to experience the full range of dining options, I reserved a place at dinner there for my last evening.  The menu was personally chosen for me from a prix fixe selection providing me with several choices for each of the 7 courses.  My dining partner and I were greeted by name upon our arrival and given a table for two with our very own wait staff.

     With some of the items listed I wished I had a food dictionary in my pocket so I could make informed decisions.  So the first course was chosen by the process of elimination.  I didn't think I would enjoy Octopus "A La Plancha" with Black Garlic Aioli and so ordered the Pintade Fermiere Verrine instead.  Turns out pintade fermiere is a French Guinea Hen.

     Following that for starters I selected Wild Turbot with Toasted Capers and Preserved Lemon knowing that turbot was a variety of fish.  

 
     Then it was back to terre firma with Palmetto Farms Quail with Serrano Ham and Figs.  And in keeping with winged fowl the next course was Roasted Duck with Fennel and Leeks, "A l'Orange.  And just for a diversion I ordered two tiny slices of Australian Kobe-Style Beef Tenderloin with Oxtail Ravioli to keep the duck company on the plate.


     
     The intermezzo before the grand finale was a sampling of cheeses: Parmigiano Reggiano, Fiscalini Cheddar, Colston Bassett Stilton and Gouda Reypenaer. 

    
 

     But perhaps the most difficult decision to make was choosing the dessert.  There were 6 on my menu.  I could have delighted in any one of them from a milk chocolate gelato, an apple panna cotta, a banana gateau, a vanilla bean creme brulee, or a Grand Marnier Souffle.  But I deferred from being tempted by any of those, tantalizing as they all seemed and chose a Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle which was absolutely decadent, a vesuvian delight.


     It was an evening of culinary excellence and artistry!  The 3 hour meal passed quickly by as I sampled one course after another, each delivered to our table with impeccable timing and pleasant conversation.  It was well worth the money spent for this once in a lifetime experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment