Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Do you know Jack?

     Last Saturday I needed to restock the house with a supply of fresh fruit.  So I traveled down to the farmers' market in New Castle to pick up some bananas, strawberries and blueberries.  As I walked through the rows of produce I spied something unfamiliar.  It was some sort of sliced fruit about the size of a hubcap with a thick skin and what looked to be seed pods.

     A Hispanic couple next to me was eagerly purchasing several slices so I inquired what it was.  They told me it was jackfruit.  "Jack, like the person's name?" I asked.  "Yes," was the reply, "it's a rare treat when you can find them."

     When I got back home I did some research and discovered that the jackfruit is native to south and southeast Asia, having originated in the lowlands of India.  It is common throughout the East Indies and the Philippines, growing wild as well as in cultivation.  It also grows in parts of Brazil and in Jamaica in the Western Hemisphere.  Jackfruit is the largest of all the tree borne fruits and can weigh up to 80 pounds and be 3 feet long.  A typical jackfruit tree can yield 150 fruits and a mature tree can produce as many as 500.
jackfruit
     A ripe jackfruit has a distinct aroma, sweet and fruity.  It is said to taste like a combination of apple, pineapple, mango and banana.  And its very versatile.  It can be eaten fresh once the skin and pods are removed, or before it ripens it can be cooked into a custard or a curry, even ice cream!  Fried it can then be fast frozen and consumed as a chip.  It is often prepared as a side dish or as a meat substitute since it has the flavor and consistency of  poultry or lamb.  In fact, in some regions it is referred to as gacch-patha, that is, "tree mutton."  And the seed pods are edible, too.  They can be boiled, baked or roasted and have a flavor similar to chestnuts.

     Jackfruits are very healthful.  They are full of anti-oxidants and have significant cancer fighting properties.  They are also said to help cure ulcers and indigestion.

     Gee, guess I should have brought some home with me and tried it.

2 comments:

  1. super delicious fruit, the wood from the tree is also good for furniture, I have a display cabinet made from a Jackfruit tree I cut down several years ago.

    ReplyDelete