Friday, June 17, 2016

Friendliest Town in the South

     After having perhaps the best home cooked meal in my entire life, I headed further south along the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.  My final destination for the day was the picturesque little North Carolina hamlet of Tryon, "The Friendliest Town in the South."  For the 23nd year they were hosting the Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival.  Sponsored once again by the Carolina Foothills Chamber of Commerce it has become one of the premier barbecue events in the nation and attracts some of the best competition teams in the South.  With names like Redneck Scientific, Smoking Butt Heads and Sue E. Pig the teams vie for the coveted title of North Carolina State Champion.  And a total of $20,000 in prize money is further enticement.

     I was eager to attend once again this year as I did in 2015.  Not only is the BBQ exceptional, but there is so much more to experience and enjoy.  Music groups perform simultaneously on 2 separate stages, there is a large craft fair, and a kids' fun park.  On Saturday there is a classic car show, a Harley-Davidson "Hawg Run," and in the evening a fireworks display.  And everything takes place along the bucolic banks of the Pacolet River.

     My mouth was already watering just thinking about the 2 days of food and festivities as I made my way past some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.  But I had another memorable event to experience before the festival began.  More on that exquisite culinary event on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment