Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Home Cooking?

     I began my most recent culinary research into North Carolina cuisine with a trip down into the Tar Heel State by way of the Skyline Drive through Virginia, stopping overnight in the Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park.  It was about noon the following day that I entered the Blue Ridge Parkway that would eventually take me into North Carolina.

     


     

     My intended stay for my second night was at a Bed and Breakfast in the tiny community of Glade Valley, just over the state line.  I was greeted warmly upon my arrival by Jim & Margaret Conner.  They own an incredibly beautiful home, built in 2008 as a lodging for travelers like me.  The log mansion has 6 rooms, each one named for one of our country's national parks.  I settled in to Mesa Verde with a gorgeous view across an expansive back deck.

     By the time I arrived the meager lunch I had packed for myself was just a fleeting memory and I was eager to find a place to find an evening meal.  The closest town with restaurants was 7 miles up the road in Sparta.  Perusing the town as I drove along the streets I settled in for dinner at a family owned place that claimed to serve up "home cooking."  Upon entering I was a bit concerned that it was pretty devoid of any kind of homey atmosphere, but I was hungry and you can't eat atmosphere.  I scanned the menu and decided to order the breaded fried chicken breast that came with mashed potatoes, asparagus and corn bread.

     It is difficult for me to describe my disappointment when my meal arrived at my table.  It had absolutely no eye appeal whatsoever.  I've heard from professional chefs that "you eat first with your eyes."  The plate looked like one of my daughter's where, as a child,  she demanded that none of the items served were allowed to touch each other.  It was stark and unappealing with a small, bone dry and bony chicken breast sitting remotely distanced from a plop of mashed spuds far from a few stalks of overcooked asparagus spears..  The corn bread bordered on stale and came in its own plastic basket with some pre-packaged butter packets.  Sadly, the highlight of the meal was the sweet tea that helped to swill down the sorry looking meal.

If that's home cooking, I'm running away from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment