Friday, November 15, 2013

Of the place

     The weeks, no months, of anticipation were finally over!  On Wednesday I had in my hands the actual menu for the best Italian restaurant in all of New York City, Del Posto, literally "of the place."  As I sat at the table looking down at the list of mouth watering items it was like a primer in the Italian language.

     I had already decided that I would select the prix fixe luncheon menu.  Three courses for $39 didn't seem outrageous.  I could choose from a selection of Antipasti, Secondi and Dolci.  But what I didn't know was that in addition to their standard 3 course meal I would be treated to a complimentary pre-appetizer appetizer and a post-dessert dessert.


      Denis, the cordial maitre'd, born and raised in Sicily, took the order for all 3 of my choices.  After a teaser of tiny samples that included a faux meringue mushroom, a seafood salad petit-four, and a shot glass sized cup of buttery clam broth, I moved on to my antipasti, a chilled lobster salad Oreganata.  It was delicate and perfectly arranged on the plate in geometric quarters.

     Deciding to forego the pasta primi option I then moved on to the main course, the secondi.  Delivered to the table in an immense soup bowl was a Livorno style Cacciucco.  A take on cioppino, in the bottom of the bowl was an assortment of fish and shellfish that was bathed at the table with a hot, spicy tomato broth.  It was so good that I used a portion of one of the freshly baked rolls to catch every last drop.

     Still finding some room for dessert I enthusiastically put a spoon to a butterscotch Semifreddo that was served over dried apricots.  What a glorious conclusion to the meal!  But as they say in the TV commercial, "But wait!  There's more!"  Another sampler of miniature desserts arrived on an antique wooden box grater.  A tiny sugared doughnut treat, a sliver of dried candied fruit, a sinfully rich wisp of cocoa dusted chocolate and a small piece of fruit together signaled the conclusion of an amazing dining experience.

     Then to walk off our meal we descended the central staircase to inspect the 3,000 bottle wine cellar and to peak into the private meeting rooms located on the lower level.   It was an experience that will remain without equal and a memorable event to savor long after my tastebuds have sadly returned to endure my own cooking once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment