Tuesday, August 23, 2016

More than a Buzzword

     By the time I arrived in Portland I was getting pretty hungry.  It was only 3pm on the Pacific coast but my stomach was telling me it was dinner time.  The contract with the rental car agency didn't begin until the following morning so I took off on foot to find a place to eat.


     Walking downhill toward the river it wasn't long before I came across Southpark Seafood, an indoor/outdoor restaurant.  A quick scan of the menu revealed that it was just the kind of place I was looking for.  Oysters on the half shell, fish, clam chowder and Dungeness crabs.....what's not to like?  And beside, it was located on Salmon Street.  A coincidence?  I think not!


     I began with the most unique riff on clam chowder that I have ever tasted.  It wasn't New England style, nor was it Manhattan.  Tiny whole clams sharing space with pillows of gnocchi in a richly flavored, creamy broth, it was the perfect way to begin a memorable meal.


     Then on to the main event, a whole Dungeness crab served with cornbread.  Those Northwestern Pacific crabs are nothing like the Maryland blues that I know so well. One crab is a meal!  I worked methodically at devouring it.  First the legs and then each half of the body, carefully removing the sweet meat from each crevice and cavity.  Pure bliss!  And to borrow their advertising it was, as they claim, "...creative and delicious."


     The inverted carapace served as the container for the drawn butter.  Yes, very creative, but with a larger purpose.  Southpark Seafood maintains a strict sustainability policy in everything they serve and do.  To them sustainable is more than just a buzzword.  In partnership with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch they monitor and catalogue all the fish they serve, taking only from the sea what it is able to replenish.


     But it's more than just selling fish.  They compost all their food waste, recycle all their cooking oil, and recycle all their cardboard, cans, glass and paper.  Even their straws are made from corn and their bar picks are wood.  The menus, comment cards and letterhead are made from post consumer materials.

     The food is good, and their practices are good for our world!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment