Monday, April 8, 2013

A Real Meal

     In a gritty, blue collar section of South Boston sits Victoria's Diner.  It's not near any historical landmarks and tourists probably have no reason to stop in for a meal at 1024 Massachusetts Avenue.  Perhaps the only claim to fame is that it is just around the corner from the administrative headquarters of the Boston Fire Department.

 
     But the day I visited around noon it was bustling with activity, every seat at the counter was taken and most of the booths were full.  I was warmly greeted by the hostess and cheerfully given a menu by a young waitress.  It was indeed service with a smile, something that was noticeably absent from some of the posh places downtown.  I had learned of the place from a friend of the owners, Damian & Sheree Marciante, and went to meet them and give greetings from The Keystone State.  But it was their day off and I missed the opportunity to make their acquaintance.

 
     In looking over the brand new menu just initiated that day I found some old favorites and things with a new twist.  But being the traditionalist that I am I ordered up some clam chowder and a grilled Cuban sandwich for my meal.  It was honest to goodness, stick to your ribs good American food that didn't break the bank.  I lingered over my meal as I reviewed my city map and plotted my next adventure.  And with the kind advice of the waitress, eventually made my way to venerable Fenway Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment